Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

04 November 2004

I Am Attempting to Move On

My show opened this evening and everyone seemed to really like it. Even A. Caloca, who notoriously disagrees with me on every piece of theatre we see together.

So... the Oscars.

The foreign film list is out: there are 51 this year, I think. I have seen a total of ZERO of these 51 films and I know very little about them. It is important to note, though, that Spain's entry is The Sea Inside, the new film with Javier Bardem, and not Almodóvar's La Mala Educacion. France's entry is not the upcoming A Very Long Engagement with Audrey Tatou: it's some film called Les Choristes. And neither Argentina or Brazil was allowed to submit The Motorcycle Diaries. China did submit the soon to be released House of Flying Daggers from Zhang Yimou, director of recent smash hit Hero and older (and much better) films Raise the Red Lantern, Ju Dou, and Shanghai Triad.

The animated film list came out today. Here are the eleven possibilities:

Clifford’s Really Big Movie
Teacher’s Pet
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Home on the Range
The Incredibles
The Legend of Buddha
The Polar Express
Shrek 2
Shark Tale
Sky Blue
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie


Of these, three will be eventually nominated. Clifford, Teacher's Pet, Ghost in the Shell 2, Home on the Range and Shark Tale were all widely panned by critics and will not likely pick up any awards notice in December either. I haven't heard of Sky Blue, although that might open to critical raves. SpongeBob could have a chance, but I tend to doubt it. I can't even find Legend of Buddha on IMDb, so its chances look positively grim. I think Shrek 2 and The Incredibles are locks. The other nominee will probably be The Polar Express, depending on the movie's popularity.

*
Come see Valparaisio. People are loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment