Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

29 December 2020

Mannequin (1937)

Oh Mannequin is fine as far as it goes. It has a kind of faux feminism going for it that feels good at least. Crawford is pretty great (I think I like her in films from the '20s and '30s), but Tracy feels out of place here, like he doesn't quite know how to play this role. Much more at home in Mannequin is Alan Curtis, who plays his part magnificently, except that the character is such an absolute deadbeat that one really can't help hating him the way the film itself hates him. 

Titling this film Mannequin is sort of odd, really. At one point Crawford takes a job as a mannequin, but it hasn't anything to do with the plot. It's actually a very short sequence.

I watched this and two other Crawford films at the end of this month before they got removed from the Criterion Channel. I am forever doing this, but it's actually kind of hard to find Mannequin, so I had to take the chance when it was presented to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment