Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

15 December 2020

The Bold and the Brave (1956)

For some reason I had in my head that since I had just watched The Brave One from 1956 that I needed to watch The Bold and the Brave from 1956. It's a movie that was also nominated for a screenplay Oscar in 1957 (in a different category). Anyway, I'm not sure why I felt the need to watch this, but I did.

As it turns out, The Bold and the Brave is not a very interesting war movie, and its central character is a truly hateful human being whom I loathed. 

But Nicole Maurey is fabulous in this movie, and she gives a really gorgeous performance. Mickey Rooney, too, has a great part and is tons of fun. These two actors are the shining lights of this rather dour and taciturn film – one that doesn't have any interesting battle sequences and isn't really about war per se. The Bold and the Brave is actually just a private melodrama between four people; it seems almost to have nothing to do with WWII.

I rented this on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment