Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

05 September 2021

Let's Make Love (1960)

Let's Make Love is a sexy comedy starring Marilyn Monroe and Yves Montand, whose English dialogue was learned phonetically – I had to put on the subtitles in order to get it.

This feels like pretty typical 1960s musical fare. Almost all of the songs are diegetic because we're in some kind of off-Broadway revue. The funniest bits in this film might be the sections in which Milton Berle teaches Montand to be funny, Bing Crosby teaches him to sing, and Gene Kelly appears to teach him to dance. 

Much of this film is charming, and some of it is actually quite funny. For me the weirdest part of Let's Make Love is British singer Frankie Vaughan, who is very handsome but who seems to me constantly flat in every one of his songs. I can definitely see why he didn't catch on with USAmerican audiences.

I watched this on DVD, but I'm pretty sure it's also on VOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment