Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

14 September 2021

Once upon a Time in Yugoslavia

This documentary – which is about Marshal Josip Broz Tito, his love of film, and film production in Yugoslavia – didn't really work for me. It felt disjointed, and I wasn't really sure what the film was about most of the time. I wanted it to be about the Yugoslav film industry and the state-sponsored production of propaganda films and other films. There is rather a long sequence where the film discusses the production of Battle of Neretva, and I perked up during this section. I love that film, and I had wondered for years how something so epic and grand was financed. But then Cinema Komunisto (god, I hate that title) becomes a film about the fall of Yugoslavia itself and the loss of the dream of the unified nation that is now Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia, Kosovo, and Macedonia. It's almost as if there is too much to mourn, and so Mila Turajlić chooses to mourn all of it. She isn't wrong, of course, but it makes for an unfocused movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment