Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

02 August 2022

Paisan (1946)


Roberto Rossellini's Paisa' is six vignettes about US Americans in Italy as everybody (including Italian resistance fighters) continues to fight the Germans. Rossellini's camera scours the ruins of the peninsula, and Paisa' is a legitimately heartbreaking film. I don't know why it took me this long to see this movie – perhaps it was the total bleakness of Rossellini's previous film, Rome, Open City – but I'm glad I finally saw it. I completely loved this.

(I'm not really sure what year to classify this under. IMDb says it was released in the US in March of 1948, but I know it was nominated for a Story & Screenplay Oscar during the 1949 season. I'm gonna do '49 just because the whole point of these years is to keep track of awards seasons. 

And another thing: the original title, seemingly everywhere, is rendered as Paisà. But it's Paisa' on the title card of the film, and that's what it is on the poster, too. I'm not sure I understand the confusion here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment