Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

18 September 2005

Thumbsucker

Generosity, you may or may not know, does not come easily to me. I can be quite impatient and easily frustrated. You should have seen my parents' faces when they first heard of my ambitions to be a teacher. Picture utter shock and slight horror. The surprise was even greater to relatives who only know me superficially and remember me as an impatient, arrogant adolescent with no allowance for the rapidity with which other people could do things and an urge to hurry everything up.
But patience and generosity are things I have become more liberal in practicing. And now I can often be attuned to the needs of an actor or a student and occasionally just what they need to hear to help them and make them better.
I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I felt like sharing the effort that I constantly must make to be open to the rhythms of those around me and the speed with which they do things.

I saw Thumbsucker tonight and enjoyed it immensely. It's moving and funny and earnest (in a really good way.) The lead performance by a young man named Lou Pucci is heartbreaking and beautiful and I just want to grab him and hold him and tell him I'm proud of him. This movie made me think so many things about parenting and normalcy and trying to make things okay. Heartily recommended if you can handle the teenage angst angle.

AND I got a pass to go check out a sneak of All the King's Men tomorrow. That's what I'm talking about!

In case you were also worried that I wasn't spending enough time on Hard Times, I busted out my old "Long Notes" format of pre-working a play and started doing it. I'm about a third of the way through now and I will finish the rest of it before Thursday's big audition day. FUCK ME but this play is long.

No comments:

Post a Comment