Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

17 December 2005

Ang Lee's Newest

So Brokeback Mountain is killer, of course. If you haven't seen it, it's the absolute must-see of the year and could sincerely eke out winning the Oscar for Best Picture.

Heath Ledger is completely new and different; he's totally believable and gives the performance of his life. (I kind of can't wait to see Casanova because of him: that might be the first positive thing I've said about a Lasse Hallström film since My Life as a Dog.) But Heath Ledger... reviewers are throwing the word "revelation" around and I think that's a bit much of a mantle to place on his shoulders, but I kind of believe it.

Jake Gyllenhaal is great too. You all know I love that boy and I can't really get enough of him but he's just so damned good looking. He's excellent in the film as well, and expect both Mr. Ledger and Mr. Gyllenhaal to get Oscar nominations come January. Expect additional nominations for Picture, Screenplay, Director (he might even win), Cinematography, Editing, Art Direction, Original Score (this one's a little shaky: the music branch is so insular), and Best Supporting Actress.

No comments:

Post a Comment