Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

13 January 2022

Lucy and Desi

I am not sure why Aaron Sorkin's movie wound up being called Being the Ricardos. I think I Love Desi would have been a better title, or Lucy and Desi, which was apparently its title for a while. Not that any of that really matters. I really didn't connect with this film at all. The entire thing just felt completely phony to me. 

And I have nothing bad to say about Nicole Kidman or the casting of any of the other actors, really. I blame Aaron Sorkin. This thing is soulless.

I liked the sequences where Kidman played Ball playing Lucy in black-and-white in the show, but I don't think I liked anything else. Everything else just felt like it went through twelve committees.

And the politics of Being the Ricardos are awful. This movie is very clear that it hates anti-communists but it also manages to hate communists? There's even a moment when we all... cheer for J. Edgar Hoover. It's a dramatic moment, perhaps the most dramatic moment in the film, and I know why it is there, but the physics of it repulsed me.

I didn't understand this movie. It thinks it's very clever, but its charms don't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment