Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

05 January 2022

Blow Out (1981)

I really liked Brian De Palma's Blow Out from 1981. I find myself really into De Palma's neo-noir style, and this one is very pleasurable with one truly insane performance from John Lithgow (what is up with his collaborations with De Palma in this period?).

Travolta is great at this kind of thing, and it's a surprise that his career didn't move more in this direction.

Blow Out's mystery, its thriller elements, and its sound and editing are all excellent, although I think the script suffers a bit at the end, and I didn't quite buy the completely jaded finale and worldview that Travolta/De Palma offer us.

I watched this movie back in September 2021 before it left the Criterion channel. I'm not sure why I haven't written about it until now, but I got briefly out of the habit of writing about the movies I was watching for a few months, and this film was one of the casualties.

No comments:

Post a Comment