Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

25 March 2022

Oscar Nominations 2021: 9 of 9 (with Final Predictions)

1. The Power of the Dog, Dune, Belfast, and West Side Story
2. King Richard, Drive My Car, Don't Look Up, and Nightmare Alley
3. CODA, Licorice Pizza, Being the Ricardos, and The Lost Daughter
4. The Tragedy of Macbeth, Encanto, No Time to Die, and Flee
5. Tick, Tick... Boom!, Parallel Mothers, The Eyes of Tammy Faye, and The Worst Person in the World
6. Cruella, Spencer, The Hand of God, and Lunana: a Yak in the Classroom
7. Cyrano, The Mitchells vs the Machines, Luca, and Raya and the Last Dragon
8. Spider-man: No Way Home, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, and Free Guy

House of Gucci
1 Nomination
  • Makeup & Hairsyling
Director: Ridley Scott
Cast: Lady Gaga, Adam Driver, Jared Leto, Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons, Salma Hayek, Jack Huston, Reeve Carney
 
Father, Son, and House of Gucci. I'm not saying that this was the worst movie of the year, but it was the worst movie I saw this year (neck and neck with Being the Ricardos, actually). I've already written about how terrible I thought this was so I don't think I'll belabor the point too much. But I felt really confident that Lady Gaga was going to end up with another undeserved Oscar nomination, and I think her not getting one back in February was a very big surprise to everyone: she campaigned very hard to get it. The Screen Actors Guild had, in addition, nominated Jared Leto for best supporting actor for what is, perhaps, one of the most baffling performances of the year. I am very grateful that the Academy saw fit to do otherwise and give this film one nomination only – for Jared Leto's makeup.
Will Win: N/A
Could Win: N/A
My Rating: #60 out of 60

Coming 2 America
1 Nomination
  • Makeup & Hairstyling
Director: Craig Brewer
Cast: Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, Wesley Snipes, Jermaine Fowler, Shari Headley, Leslie Jones, Tracey Morgan, KiKi Layne, James Earl Jones

Another movie I really enjoyed. I have said before how funny I think Eddie Murphy is. This man makes me laugh like no other, honestly. I love him. This movie – like many Eddie Murphy movies – has scored an Oscar nomination for its makeup. Murphy plays several characters in the film, and so the (excellent) prosthetics that differentiate his characters almost always score a nomination. But C2A is really funny! I had a great time. And honestly I think it deserved a second nomination: for Ruth Carter's costumes. They are absolutely incredible. Some of them had my jaw on the floor. Her work in this is astounding. I know she has an Oscar, but her work is just consistently so imaginative and awesome, and she deserves to be getting nominated every damn year. 
Will Win: N/A
Could Win: N/A
My Rating: #38 out of 60

Four Good Days
1 Nomination
  • Song: Diane Warren (The Life Ahead, Breakthrough, RBG, Marshall, The Hunting Ground, Beyond the Lights, Pearl Harbor, Music of the Heart, Armageddon, Con Air, Up Close & Personal, Mannequin)
Director: Rodrigo García
Cast: Glenn Close, Mila Kunis, Stephen Root, Carla Gallo, Carlos Lacamara, Michael Hyatt

The Diane Warren effect. Every single year I end up watching a movie I never would have watched otherwise because Diane Warren wrote a song for the movie and it ended up with an Oscar nomination. She literally gets nominated every year – she has for the last 5 years straight – and she has never won. She ain't gonna win again this year either because this Reba McEntire song is fine, but the movie is terrible. I usually love Rodrigo García's work, but Four Good Days is literally just two grown women yelling at one another for 90 minutes. It's painful. I am not sure why this is supposed to be pleasurable or insightful for anyone, but for me it was neither. Most of the film is actually absurd – there's an insane sequence where Mila Kunis visits a classroom full of kids to talk about addiction for reasons that make no sense at all. (Or maybe it's just so she can give a "heartwarming" monologue.) I really don't know what is happening with Glenn Close right now. She's in her irascible grandma phase for some reason, and I just don't get it. Why isn't she playing the kinds of parts Emma Thompson is playing? Instead she's saying immortal lines like "no shit, Sherlock" and "kiss my ruby red asshole". Who would have predicted this for her? In any case, this movie goes to the near bottom of the list, just above Cyrano, Being the Ricardos, and Father, Son, and House of Gucci.
Will Win: N/A
Could Win: N/A
My Rating: #56 out of 60

Final Predictions:
Picture: Power of the Dog
Director: Jane Campion, Power of the Dog
Actor: Will Smith, King Richard
Actress: Kristen Stewart, Spencer
Adapted Screenplay: Siân Heder, CODA (this is a change)
Original Screenplay: Paul Thomas Anderson, Licorice Pizza
Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, CODA
Supporting Actress: Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
Film Editing: Joe Walker, Dune: Part One
Cinematography: Greig Fraser, Dune: Part One
Production Design: Patrice Vermette & Zsuzsanna Sipos, Dune: Part One
International Film: Japan, Drive My Car
Costume Design: Jenny Beaven, Cruella (I changed my tune about this, too)
Animated Feature: Encanto
Sound: Dune: Part One
Visual Effects: Dune: Part One
Makeup & Hairstyling: Dune: Part One
Song: Beyoncé & DIXSON, King Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment