Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

22 December 2023

Nimona (2023)

Listen, I liked that the main character was gay, but other than that this was not good. This film had almost no surprises, and despite having three very cool characters at its center, Nimona doesn’t make anything of them. They’re all two-dimensional, and every beat in the story is predictable. 

Worse yet, this is a film with a message. It’s an allegorical tale about police and the police state with a little helping of the 2020 George Floyd protests thrown in for good measure. 

Now, here’s the thing, I’m on the same side as this movie’s politics, but that made for very boring storytelling. And the jokes weren’t funny either.

I am glad Nick Bruno and Troy Quane made a gay thing. I'm glad they cast quite a few gay people (Chloë Grace Moretz, Eugene Yang, RuPaul, Julio Torres, Indya Moore), too. And I love Riz Ahmed and Beck Bennett. But I wish the gay thing they all made had, well, just been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment