Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

20 October 2010

Twenty-five Things

This list of random bits of information about me comes from a facebook meme that circulated in January of 2009. I never posted it here, but I am posting it now because I revisited it a few days ago (for various reasons) and found that it was still quite accurate and not uninteresting. The requirement of the meme is simply that one lists 25 "random" things about oneself. This was my list in January 2009. So:

1. In the last year or so I have become an angry feminist.

2. I was a Christian until I went to university. I had a mini-crisis of religion while I was there and started going to church three nights a week. I asked all the questions I needed to ask and then I quit Christianity. I haven't been to a church service since around 1999. I became an atheist later.

3. My favorite food is cheese. I love almost all kinds of cheese and I am always trying new cheeses. If there is wine involved, my happiness knows no bounds.

4. I see hundreds of movies a year but I almost never watch a movie more than once. There are only a few exceptions--I have seen Network a million times, and I rewatch Maurice and The Hours and Howards End every once in a while.

5. I don't eat candy that isn't dark chocolate. Not because I am anorexic or anything; I just am not that into it.

6. I spend lots of time alone--an incredible amount, in fact. And I have gotten used to doing things in public by myself: going to the movies, eating dinner, seeing theatre.

7. I will never leave a movie in the middle of it, but if a piece of theatre is bad I race out of there at intermission as fast as I can. There is almost nothing worse than bad theatre.

8. I have a minor obsession with diacritical marks. I feel like people should use them when they write and I wince when I see words like mañana and résumé or names like Zoë and Dalí spelled without them.

9. Sometimes I wish I were still working as an accountant so that I had a steady income. Being a student scares me a lot. I don't like being unemployed.

10. I am a huge nerd when it comes to J.R.R. Tolkien, and I know all kinds of ridiculous trivia about his work, but I judge people who love Star Trek.

11. I think of myself as a very mean person, but I spend a lot of time trying to be nice to people so that my meanness doesn't make other people sad.

12. I really hate getting my hair cut. I have a complex about it or something.

13. I am a Pisces. This means that I never know what I want to do for my birthday. What I really want is for my friends to plan my birthday without me. And I want it to be perfect. But I don't want them to ask me about it.

14. I was in a theatre company once, but I found it to be really difficult and mildly depressing. Artists sometimes have wild, exciting dreams, but often no desire to make them reality.

15. I frequently convince people that I'm Jewish. I am not sure why.

16. I don't believe in "the self" or "the soul." I think the idea is outdated. I only believe in actions.

17. I really wanted to be a parent when I was about 23 years old. I became obsessed with babies. I would cry when I saw them and all kinds of dramatics like that. Now I am almost 28 and while I like my newborn nephew, I want nothing to do with parenting. If I had been straight I would probably have a kid by now and my life would be completely different. [Oct 2010 update: I am currently pushing 30. Still no desire for children.]

18. I don't really listen to "good" music. I listen to classical music and sometimes bands come into my life, but I don't have emotional connections to bands or things like that. Everyone else I know seems to really love music, but I guess it isn't my thing.

19. When people mention plays or other books, I generally behave as though I've read them. I have read more than most people I know my age, but I have shame about not having read more.

20. I am proud of all of my good friends. I think that they are the most interesting, talented people. I love having parties with them because just listening to them talk is fun for me.

21. This is news to no one, but I am obsessed with the Academy Awards. This is how obsessed: I have seen 398 of the 462 films ever nominated for Best Picture (85%) and 368 of the 401 movies (92%) nominated for Best Director. And yes I am keeping track of the statistics. [Oct 2010 update: For BP, 412 of 478 (86%). For BD, 374 of 406 (92%). Yes, I am still keeping track.]

22. I never dated a white guy until I moved to Florida. Since I've been here there have been three. Weird.

23. I hardly ever have a boyfriend, but I usually have a crush on someone or have machinations about someone. Right now I have no crush and no machinations. It is weird, but okay.

24. I read two magazines regularly: Vanity Fair and the Gay and Lesbian Review. I used to read Out, but it is too heteronormative and boring for me now that I am a radicalized opinionated queer scholar. ;-)

25. I interpret dreams. And I am kinda good at it.

1 comment:

  1. Ah Aaron, this reminds me why we're friends.

    1. I am trying to stop being an angry feminist. It's not really helping me in my life to be one.

    2. I have quit the Jesus club, although I find early religious indoctrination leaves behind a strong moral & ethical code peculiar to the former faith. I've noticed this in others besides myself.

    3. Cheese, oh yes. Wine, ditto.

    4. I've slowed down the pace, but still love movies. I'm a little ashamed to admit that, while I often think of films I've seen in the past, the only ones I ever rewatch are silly movies like the Star Wars films and The Princess Bride. Coincidentally, though, I started thinking of the movie The Hours a few days ago - scene after scene replayed in my head....

    5. Dark chocolate,yes.

    6. I seem to spend more time alone these days. It may be related to the fact that I'm going through a difficult stage.

    7. I have never left a movie in the middle. I feel compelled to finish books as well. And sadly, I don't see much theatre.

    8. Too hard to figure out diacritical marks in the word processing software. But I notice!

    9. MY GOD I WISH YOU STILL WORKED AS AN ACCOUNTANT. But for purely selfish reasons. It would be horrible for you.

    10. I'm a bigger Tolkien nerd than you. Prove otherwise.

    11. I think other people think I'm mean, but I'm really just thoughtless and self centered. Possibly it's the same thing.

    12. The hair cutting part of the hair salon experience I'm neutral about. But I love having my hair brushed and blow dried. When the stylist finishes I feel that same small sadness as when the messeuse finishes.

    13. Hahahahaha. I'm a Picese too. This entry made me laugh.

    14. No theatre company. I stifle my own creativity in many ways, but am always an appreciative audience for others.

    15. People frequently ask me if I'm Jewish. I am not sure why.

    16. Self, soul, neurons sending messages in your brain. Or something like that.

    17. Although being a parent is probably one of the best things I've ever done in my life, and I did it well, it consumes you. It's hard to readjust afterwards.

    18. I have always felt like a musical ignoramous. I think it is because music is a much more abstract art form than any other. One of my friends and I were discussing this. She said she likes to read because she can absorb it at her own pace.

    19. Wow. Honestly, I've felt that feeling, which is silly because you know how much I have read. But I think I usually just admit to not having read or seen whatever it is they are talking about. Mmmmm sometimes I say I'm familiar with it!

    20. I miss you.

    21. Hahahahaha. But last year I didn't watch for the first time. I don't know why.

    22. I've dated white guys.

    23. I have a crush on someone. It's completely inappropriate! Shhhhhh.

    24. I don't read any magazines any more unless in a doctor's office or someplace like that. I sometimes think of subscribing, but then I remember all the magazines I have thrown away unopened.

    25. Really? I did not know you did. I might use your services!

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete