Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

30 December 2012

Best Actor 2012

My top choices in the order I would place them on my Academy ballot if I were allowed to vote. In other words, these are my top five performances, but I acknowledge that this list is already influenced by awards buzz, and the actors who I think need the most votes are at the top.

ANDERS DANIELSEN LIE, Oslo, 31. August (Oslo, August 31st)

RICHARD GERE, Arbitrage

JOAQUIN PHOENIX, The Master

BRADLEY COOPER, Silver Linings Playbook

DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, Lincoln

Ineligible, but would be on my list if his film hadn't been nominated last year for the Best Foreign Language Picture Oscar:
MATTHIAS SCHOENARTS, Rundskop (Bullhead)

Also loved:
Jean-Louis Trintignant, Amour (Love)
Denzel Washington, Flight

Related:
My Best Actor Picks for 2011
My Best Actor Picks for 2010
My Best Actor Picks for 2009
My Best Actor Picks for 2008
My Best Actor Picks for 2007

2 comments:

  1. I just watched ARBITRAGE and it stressed me out. I loved it. (Fingers and toes crossed for Richard!!)

    I was not nearly as impressed as you with Bradley Cooper.

    Matthias was in RUST AND BONE this year. I haven't seen it yet, but there's buzz, no? Perhaps just for the film, though, and not for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very good in Rust and Bone – a film I liked a lot – just not nearly as absolutely on fire as he is in Bullhead. The buzz for Rust and Bone is all Marion Cotillard all the time, so I am not holding out any hope.

      I am sorry you didn't love Cooper as much as I did, but different strokes for different folks, I guess. I am SO glad you liked Arbitrage as much as I did, though. And Nate Parker! Wasn't he great??

      Delete