Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

21 January 2017

Best Actor 2016

My top choices in the order I would place them on my Academy ballot if I were allowed to vote. In other words, this is my top five, but I acknowledge that this list is already influenced by awards buzz, and the actors who I think would theoretically benefit the most from my vote are at the top.

 
VIGGO MORTENSEN, Captain Fantastic

ANDREW GARFIELD, Hacksaw Ridge

DENZEL WASHINGTON, Fences

CASEY AFFLECK, Manchester by the Sea

Also loved:
Cliff Curtis, The Dark Horse
Joel Edgerton, Loving
Colin Farrell, The Lobster
Ralph Fiennes, A Bigger Splash
Ben Foster, The Program
Ryan Gosling, La La Land
Jake Gyllenhaal, Nocturnal Animals
Shahab Hosseini, The Salesman (فروشنده)

Apologies to:
Gael García Bernal (Neruda), Dave Johns (I, Daniel Blake), and Shia LaBeouf (Man Down), whose films I have not yet seen but will see soon.

Related:
My Best Actor picks from past years (2004-2016)
My Best Actress picks from 2016 (TBA)
My Best Supporting Actress picks from 2016
My Best Supporting Actor picks from 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment