Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

29 May 2021

In Too Deep (1999)


My reasons for watching In Too Deep were purely work related. I did not actually know that LL Cool J's character rapes a man in this movie, but he sure the hell does. In a book I'm working on, I have a chapter on '90s films with male-male rape in them, so I clearly needed to watch this. It was not terrible, but it felt completely unrelated to the real world. And, after all, I don't think this belongs in the chapter. The guy LL Cool J rapes is not really a large part of the film at all. It's a very weird sequence with a pool cue. And it's followed by one in which he orally rapes a woman with a gun. But the entirety of this material is designed to show the audience that LL Cool J really must be stopped. He's more than a violent man, he's really unhinged. (I am not sure, incidentally, that these events in the film accomplish the filmmakers' goals, but oh well. It's not exactly a great movie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment