Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

25 November 2021

Eternals

I quite liked Eternals. I think there are a couple reasons for that.

1. The fighting is way more interesting than punching, and the energy sources with which the eternals fight are visually very cool.

2. The monsters – especially the main monster – are very cool. They look cool and they do cool things.

3. The movie is epically long, but that didn't really annoy me until the dénouement, when we had to wrap up what happened to Sprite (who cares) and every other one of the eternals. That made for a thousand irritating little cliffhanger scenes so typical of Marvel films.

4. This movie had good jokes. Kumail Nanjani, Don Lee, Harish Patel, and Brian Tyree Henry are all very funny in this.

There is plenty of clunky exposition, of course, and there is soooo much that still is not explained in this world, but the world-building is kind of cool, and I think I like how humans are not really the center of things in many ways. Thinking about the universe the way helps us remember how small humans are. This is good.

Angelina Jolie. It was so good to see her and get to spend so much time with her. I legitimately missed her.

I. Love. Richard Madden. He can do no wrong. He's not even great in this or anything, but goddammit I love him. 

Haaz Sleiman!? This movie gave me the beautiful gay actor in a key supporting part – and he played a gay man. My heart soared every moment he was onscreen.

Look Eternals has plenty of problems. I thought it was mostly a big old unwieldy mess, but I had a good time. The fight scenes, especially, were really awesome, the visual effects were very cool, and the eternals' superpowers were interesting and used in ways that were constantly intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment