Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

21 October 2004

Cinerama

I had a whole long update about competitive behavior and neckties but my computer restarted and I just can't think about it.

I talked to Kristen yesterday on the East coast and she seems good. The mood and speed and culture of Boston seem to agree with her.

I am going to go see This Is Cinerama from 1952 at the Arclight on Saturday at 10:00a in their Cinerama dome and then I'm going to go see my old university chum Marcos in a show called Boyle Heights on Saturday night. Anyone and everyone is invited to either event. Just call me.

I haven't had a bad rehearsal yet and it was four weeks today. This has never happened before. Kevin says, though, that I constantly give him conflicting directions and that it's never been as bad as it is with this show. I told him that he gives me things I don't expect and that changes how I think about the show. Mostly, I think, I understand the show so much less than I normally do: or rather, my ideas about the show are less solid and more mercurial than they normally are when I direct. Because of this, I am more susceptible to changing my ideas because of something the actor does. It means the show is more collaborative, but more difficult to navigate for the actor.

This show is going to be so good. I don't want to oversell it, but I think it is really special. I think the acting is quite good, and the play is rich and dense and funny and yet concise and even short. I am very excited for people to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment