Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

31 October 2004

I'm Floating in a Most Peculiar Way

I don't know why I occasionally hang out with people from high school with whom I didn't hang out in high school.

I should preface this with: a very close friend of my brother's who is also a casual friend of mine is the manager of a rather upscale restaurant/bar in Arcadia. This friend, being the manager, has given his brother and other high school friends jobs at the restaurant/bar. Matt is now a server and Mike is now a bartender. This boy Matt, though, has always had some kind of odd pull on me. I don't know what it is. But he called me today and asked me to come the Halloween party at the restaurant. His actual words were "I'll be in drag; I'll buy you a drink." So, what the Hell, right? I went.

Why were, like, five other people from high school there? Why? And why does everyone in this bar know who I am? I'm fairly sociable as it is and I can chat fairly well with whoever crosses my path, but karaoke is just. not. cool. Of course, after 2 Sapphire and tonics I actually (for the first time in my life) sang karaoke. Don't worry, dear readers, I was cool: I did Bowie's "Space Oddity."

Also at this restaurant, but not a part of the drunken festivities: my little brother. (???)

The thing about people I never see... they always think they have me pegged. But they never do. I am always changing. It is impossible to stick me in the box. Old high school acquaintances are especially lousy at this. I am nothing like the kid they went to high school with: nothing.

Ground Control to Major Tom...

No comments:

Post a Comment