Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

07 October 2004

Norman!

It is late and I should be in bed... but I am not.

A Short Story About Scheduling
Linda called me this weekend and asked me to work on dialect with three of her actors (Gelvin, Kalmbach and Kong if you must know). I told her I would dismiss my people early on Thursday and meet with her actor for a half hour apiece beginning at 8:30p. I gave my stage manager this schedule and we all agreed upon it. Yesterday (without telling me or my stage manager) Linda changed this day when I was supposed to work with these actors. I have no idea why and I have no idea how she thought she could do this without consulting me. So I ended up working only with Brittney and Chris. I worked with Brittney until around 8:50 and then Gelvin until (no joke) 10:20 or so. He is supposed to be doing Standard British and he sounds like Katharine Hepburn in On Golden Pond. "Norman. Norman, you old poop!" He can get better, though. He understands IPA and he isn't so bad word by word. It's the speaking of actual sentences where he runs into trouble. He knows he's not good, though, and that's a help. And he wants to work as much as he can. I told him to rent movies with Hugh Grant in them. I have no time to be a dialect coach for this show until after my show opens and closes. I ain't getting paid for it anyway, so I don't want to be working to hard with him.

Work at Avjet gets easier and easier. And tomorrow is casual Friday. God. Bless. America.

No comments:

Post a Comment