Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

03 October 2004

Diarios de Motocicleta (The Motorcycle Diaries)

This movie is really good. It is less poetic, I think, than Salles' last film, Behind the Sun, but it packs a political punch nonetheless. I found it very moving, although I doubt it will be emotional for most.
It's more of a road movie than anything else, but once the two main characters, Alberto and Ernesto, get to the leper colony near the end of their journey, the emotions kicked into high gear for me. Ernesto's compassion is so beautiful, and the men's dedication and empathy is the most fascinating thing about the film. I loved it.
Sorry I can't type a real review, but I want to go to bed. New job starting in the morning and all...

I know we're nearing awards season and really good movies released around this time are thought to be Oscar contenders, but I seriously doubt its Oscar potential. Rodrigo De la Serna is excellent and could possibly get a Supporting Actor nod, but I doubt even that. The only thing I think it has a real chance of a nomination is in the Adapted Screenplay category.

No comments:

Post a Comment