Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

14 October 2004

Neckties and Power Trips

DIALOGUE OF THE DAY
Karen, the CFO of the company where I work, gets a busy signal while trying to operate the fax machine and so she turns to me and says "Why aren't you wearing a tie?"

Mind you, I have worn a tie every single day for two whole weeks and not one other male in the office wears a tie and I'm not required to wear a tie and my shirt didn't need a tie because it was kind of fancy and has pleating on the front.

Karen (purposely loud enough so that the whole room hears): WHY AREN'T YOU WEARING A TIE?
Aaron (calmly): Do I need to wear a tie?
Karen: NO...
BUT I WOULD PREFER IT.
Aaron: Okay.
Karen: IT'S JUST THAT EVERYONE ELSE HERE TRIES TO LOOK AS SHITTY AS POSSIBLE AND STILL GET AWAY WITH IT.

My boss used the word "shitty" today to describe the way the women in the office dress. Why? What an egomaniacal freak! And how rude is that and how inappropriate? I mean, why are you swearing at me? Fuck.

And do I have to wear a tie or not? The answer would seem to be "no." So why doesn't she shut the fuck up and go back to her office and stroke her ego?

No comments:

Post a Comment