Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

10 October 2004

G.R.E./Carandiru

I studied for the GRE today... and I'll be doing it a lot more over the next week. Oh my god. This is, like, a serious test that I have to do well on. The word stuff is okay... I seemed to perform fairly well on stuff like "the opposite of craven is..." and "transportation is to limousine as residence is to...". But the math is another story. I haven't done any real math since I graduated high school, and that, ladies and gentlemen, was over six years ago. Venn diagrams and substitution and square roots are no longer a part of my vocabulary.

Exactly when I will be doing this studying is still a mystery to me. My day is booked from 7:00a to 9:30p and to properly function I ought to be asleep by 11:00p. Worse yet, the software wouldn't load on my PC at home, so I installed it at my parents' house. So I can only study there. I'm hoping to squeeze in some study time after my rehearsals. They live out that way anyway...

I watched Hector Babenco's Carandiru today, mostly for my new favorite male, Rodrigo Santoro. He wasn't sexy at all in this film, though, and the film is mostly a rambling overly-long exploration of prison life. I'm not opposed to prison dramas: The Big House is easily one of the best movies of the 1930s, but this film seems to be obsessed with criminal backstories and lies prisoners tell to justify their crimes. This concept doesn't interest me. Prison infrastructure can be compelling as a study of human behavior and hierarchy but delusion and the self-aggrandizing lies of murderers and thieves are not topics I give a shit about. You're a murderer and a crack addict: I couldn't give a shit how cool you think you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment