Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

21 February 2008

Oscar Predictions

It's three days until the Academy Awards ceremony, and I apologize for not doing my usual run-up to the awards. I have been spending a ton of time, instead, with one of my favorite topics: Elizabethan & Jacobean theatre. I will also be working for most of the day on Sunday, so I won't be having a party this year either.

At any rate, I do want to make some predictions for the ceremony, since it is in a couple of days. (P.S. I got 16 out of 20 last year, which is pretty damn good.) So, this is who I think will win:

Best Picture - No Country for Old Men
Best Director - No Country for Old Men
Best Actor - There Will Be Blood
Best Actress - La Vie en Rose
Best Supporting Actor - No Country for Old Men
Best Supporting Actress - Michael Clayton
Best Original Screenplay - Juno
Best Adapted Screenplay - No Country for Old Men
Best Foreign Language Film - the Counterfeiters
Best Cinematography - No Country for Old Men
Best Film Editing - There Will Be Blood
Best Costume Design - Atonement
Best Art Direction - Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Best Original Score - Atonement
Best Sound Mixing - No Country for Old Men
Best Sound Editing - There Will Be Blood
Best Original Song - Once
Best Visual Effects - Transformers
Best Makeup - La Vie en Rose
Best Animated Feature - Ratatouille

As I've said before, I really love this year's selection of Best Picture nominees, and even I would have a rough time picking my favorites in most of these categories. So, I will be really happy with There Will Be Blood and No Country picking up ten or twelve Oscars between them, no matter who wins the most. Still, I predict that most of the love will lean toward the Coens.
People I am especially rooting for, who I think actually have a chance of winning:
. Julie Christie, Away from Her
. Atonement in all categories
. Ruby Dee, American Gangster

Happy viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment