Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

22 April 2021

Better Days


This is the most accurate poster I've ever seen. In Better Days (少年的你), Dongyu Zhou cries for the entire 2 hours and 15 minutes of the film. Then she meets Jackson Yee, and he adds his tears into the mix. There is barely a shot in the movie that doesn't involve one of these two actors crying. I don't believe I've ever seen a movie with this many tears. It'd be different if there were something else in the movie at all, but there isn't. All we get are tears here. 

Oh, also this movie is ostensibly about bullying, which Derek Tsang informs us is a "universal" problem. It is happening everywhere, and it's terrible. I find it very confusing that the film refers to the awful violence that occurs in it as bullying when it is actual violence. 

I am not sure when this movie was released. IMDb says November of 2019. Better Days wasn't on the Academy's eligibility list for 2019 or 2020, but then it was nominated for Best International Picture in 2021 (which is why I watched it). I don't know how this all shakes out, but I'm going to consider it a 2019 movie. Either way it is not a good movie, so it doesn't much matter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment