Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

19 January 2024

Best Actress 2023

Here is my top five in alphabetical order. These are the five I would nominate if I were an Academy of one.

BAISHŌ CHIEKO, Plan 75


ALINE KÜPPENHEIM, 1976 (Chile '76)

CAREY MULLIGAN, Maestro

NATALIE PORTMAN, May December

Also loved:
Andō Sakura, Monster (怪物)
Lubna Azabal, Le Bleu du Caftan (The Blue Caftan)
Annette Bening, Nyad
Lily Gladstone, The Unknown Country
Joanna Scanlon, After Love

Apologies to:
Jessie Buckley (Fingernails), Zar Amir Ebrahimi (Shayda), Anne Hathaway (Eileen), Sally Hawkins (The Lost King), Eve Hewson (Flora and Son), Julia Louis-Dreyfus (You Hurt My Feelings), Joely Mbundu (Tori and Lokita), Rosy McEwen (Blue Jean), Laura Paredes (Trenque Lauquen), Saoirse Ronan (Foe), Sydney Sweeney (Reality), Teyana Taylor, (A Thousand and One), Michelle Williams (Showing Up), and Anaita Wali Zada (Fremont), whose movies I have not yet seen.

Related:
My Best Actress Picks from previous years (2004-2022)

No comments:

Post a Comment