Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

15 June 2004

Jackie Cooper or Jackie Coogan?

Ah, the fifteenth of the month.  Lots of payroll tax payments due today for all you monthly-tax-basis employers!  At least there is work to do here at the tax office and I'm not just sitting on my arse pretending to work.


I really want pancakes.  Or maybe I just want strawberry jam.  I could, I suppose, always go to Dennys on my lunch break... no I couldn't.  I can't imagine the shame.  "I'm sitting alone in a Dennys on Huntington Blvd in Duarte."  It has a desperate, no-one-will-ever-love-you ring to it.


I guess we will have rehearsal today... I have to figure out what we're gonna do.  I spend so much time making the schedule, and then all of my plans get thwarted because I have no Petruchio.  Grr.  John and Nick are cursing the actor who quit, and I'm thinking "Why should he care about us?  Were we paying him or something?  Is he Equity?  Do we have contracts?"  No.


Last night (since rehearsal was canceled), I headed down to Beverly Hills to the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences.  As a part of their "Great to Be Nominated" series, they were showing Skippy, starring the completely loveable Jackie Cooper, age 8.  He is also the star of next week's film: The Champ, which is easily one of the ten best films of the early 1930s.  I recommend that everyone go catch this if they can.  Tickets are $3 for students and parking is free.  It's a very good deal.  Much to my surprise, Jackie Cooper was actually in the audience!  Good times.  So he stayed afterward and talked to the audience, took questions.  It was pretty fun.  Of course, I do hate old people, so he did start to get on my nerves after a bit, but it was a really cool time in Hollywood.  I love shit like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment