Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

03 July 2004

Flesh & Blood

It is funny how things come to us in life.  I can't really remember why I read A Home at the End of the World.   I think, perhaps, that Tony Kushner mentioned the book in an interview I once read.  Then some time later I was in a bookstore and saw it, saw that it was Michael Cunningham's first novel, and knew that Michael Cunningham had written The Hours, which had moved me so much.  I read A Home at the End of the World and loved it.  In this amazing way, it explained so much of my life.  I felt that he knew me so well, and not just me: that he taught me things about my mother that I had never before understood.  In my usual fashion, I looked for other books he had written.  There was only one other: Flesh & Blood.


I came across Flesh & Blood again today because I was getting some books together to loan to Jaime.  I decided to thumb through the pages and see what I had highlighted, and find the parts I remembered loving.  This book fills me with such emotion.  It is so powerful and moving and epic.  There are so many characters that I love so much.  And it fills me with such joy and pain and hope.


If you haven't read this book, or if this is the first you've heard of Michael Cunningham and Flesh & Blood, allow me to recommend it to you.  It's my favorite book in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment