Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

11 July 2004

If a body meet a body coming through the rye

Since my last update, the show has had its first two previews.  We have one more on Thursday (7/15) and then we open on Friday (7/16).  I wish I could say I felt more relieved.  It's funny.  I don't feel at all as though a weight has been lifted.  Perhaps I will the next three days when I have no rehearsal at all and can return to my normal life.  I will be heading down to AMPAS in Beverly Hills tomorrow around 5:30p to catch a screening of One Night of Love for $3 if anyone wants to tag along. 


One thing I didn't mention in my enormous deconstruction of Shrew that is true the more I think about it is that the show doesn't feel like something that is mine.  I have allowed this to be a show that is John Zamora's show.  I haven't taken ownership of it except for very little.  Perhaps that is why I don't mind so much that it isn't a thing that I love.  But it feels like something separate from my body of work.  Allan said that Shrew is a definite change for me.  That's a huge understatement, I think.  It is a show that is on the fringe of the kind of theatre I want to do.  It is a gig that I did for reasons other than artistic achievement.  Those reasons were right, and I am still not sorry I did it, but it isn't my show.  Ah well... The show is what it is, and I have written extensively about it at this point, so I think I will just shut the fuck up now. 


Last night I went out with Brittney, Doug, and Allan.  We had a very nice time, much to my surprise.  It is Brittney's birthday today, so I went to be nice and celebrate.  Allan and I are her favorite people, so I knew it would mean a lot for me to go.  But it was fun!  She lives on Los Robles just south of Colorado, so we parked at her and Doug's apartment and then walked into Old Town.  The walk was the best part, I think.  It was cool out and there were tons of people and it was like the night life of Vancouver, with everyone else on foot, too.  We walked all the way down to the 35er, but Brittney didn't want to go in because it was kind of a sports bar with a lot of bearded, older white men.  We had passed a tapas bar, though, so I suggested we backtrack to this place called BarCelona (unfortunate title).  Brittney and I ordered lemon drops, Doug ordered a chocolate martini, and Allan ordered a Long Island.  This bar makes great drinks.  My lemon drop was perfect, and so was Brittney's and then I ordered a gin and tonic, which was also perfect.  The four of us had a really nice time, just talking and drinking and being festive.  Then we toasted Brittney's birthday,  walked back to their place, and I drove on home.


I finished The Catcher in the Rye today.  It's one of those really good books that I had never read.  Jaime recommended it as her favorite book, so I decided I would read it (I had purchased a copy over a year ago--I'm probably on a list, now).  That Holden Caulfield is really a wonderful character.  I just want to hug him.  I don't identify with him very much, though.  What's amazing about this is that I am absolutely positive I would have identified with him six or seven years ago.  I've grown up or grown happy or both.  Now all I want to do is tell him things will be okay and not to worry.  Aside from that beautiful passage in the book about catching the kids in the rye, I think my favorite of Holden's lines is "People always clap for the wrong things."  Truer words were never spoken!  The book is masterfully written, though, and even though I don't connect with it too much emotionally, I appreciated it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment