Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

13 July 2004

The Press

I did a press interview for Taming of the Shrew today.  It was fun.  I guess it was just a little fluff piece... a bit of press before we open.  But I had a really good time answering questions about the show.  I talked about my interest in Shakespeare and how I am interested in updating old conventions and bringing things into the now.  And then I (surprisingly) said something quite brilliant to the interviewer.  I said something to the effect that we have these characters onstage and they were funny four hundred years ago, and they're up there saying four-hundred-year-old phrases and it is our job as theatre artists to change these people into people you and I recognize.  It is humanization in the same way that all acting is humanization.  That is, after all, why it is still important to do the play (if it is important): because it contains things that we can still learn about ourselves or at least laugh at.


By the way, I figured out this posting of pictures thing, as you might have noticed, so I think I'll be doing a lot more of that.  It's kind of fun, and makes my blog look a lot more colorful.  Notice also a new links section on the right-hand side of the main page!  Cheers.


Any takers to go see The Door in the Floor down at the ArcLight tomorrow evening?

No comments:

Post a Comment