Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

07 August 2004

Baltimore!

Hairspray was fucking fantabulous.  And that isn't even a word.  Madison and I went.  I wore my new orange shirt, jeans, and my white Madden Rreplays (I swear that's what they're called).  The leads were both straight from the Broadway cast.  Bruce Vilanch was only passable as Mrs. Turnblad.  He's really funny, of course, as a comedian, and they let him do some schtick about the governor and Shaq, but the man can't really sing and you can forget about dancing.  He can't even lift his leg six inches off the ground. 


But the show is fucking amazing.  It's oh so cheesy and camp and ridiculous and (thankfully) it's very John Waters.  In fact, I rarely see audiences in Los Angeles respond to shows the way they responded to this one tonight.  The audience clapped at everything.  They were eating it up!  Standing ovation and dancing in the seats.  Seriously.  I was in shock, but I felt it too.  The show is a definite crowd-pleaser.  It's really wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment