Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

09 August 2004

Licking the Inside

I went to the Academy tonight to see another really old musical.  This is back when those crazy Hollywood folk were just figuring out musicals.  Tonight I saw Alexander's Ragtime Band with Tyrone Power (hubba hubba), Alice Faye, Don Ameche and Ethel Merman.  Alice Faye was fabulous.  She reminded me a lot of Simone Signoret.  Don Ameche and Ethel Merman were cool too.  The script was written by Irving Berlin (!) and included twenty-six (!) of his songs in 111 minutes of film.  (That's shorter than I, Robot if you're keeping score.)  It was really fun.  Lots of dancing, tons of singing, the ghost of a plot, but some fairly good acting.  That Tyrone Power was never known for his acting ability, but he's very good in this one.  I even had a tear at one point.  I hastily wiped it away, though, so you needn't worry about me weeping openly in the middle of Beverly Hills.  I looked fucking hot tonight, perhaps that is what made the night feel like such a success.


I randomly ran into John Bastow, this guy who was in my department at university, when I was at Hairspray on Friday night.  He was there with some older woman (I think.)  I didn't get a good look because you know I hid my face and walked away as quick as can be.  Not that I don't like the guy, but I just hate seeing folk I know when I'm out on the town.


I bought oreos on the way home tonight.  I love indulging in things like that.  They were only $2, too!  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment