Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

16 August 2004

I have just come from the bookstore.  I am now inside at my computer having a gin and tonic, but I kind of wish I were out running or something.  Maybe I will do yoga tomorrow.  I need to let my head go.  I think tonight I will bake something and then go to bed.


I made these deviled eggs yesterday that are brilliant.  Whatever.


I feel really frustrated.  I have been working on Pterodactyls for about three weeks and I have been so excited about it. 


I called Angie Mendoza and gave her my address and told her to mail me the two plays I lent her.  I know I don't want to direct Shopping and Fucking, but I suppose that Divinity Bash/Nine Lives is a possibility.  It's just that it has a cast of at least nine (I think--I can't really remember).


I started reading The Foreigner (the other play going up in Fall at CSUP) today.  Why does the director tell me that she is going to use eleven to thirteen people?  Eleven is plenty.  But that's so many.  I mean, what does that leave me in the Black Box?  I am whining now.  Okay, I'll shut up. 


I just don't know what I will do.  I had given them several plays.  I guess I will look at those again. 


[sic] by Melissa James Gibson is good and funny but might be a little "out there" and it's not an emotional piece at all.


The American Plan by Richard Greenberg is very good, too, and would give the set designer something to do, but the end is not great and I am not sure I have the female talent to do it.  This is a possibility, though.


Valparaiso by Don DeLillo was my second choice originally, but I'm not sure I'm that interested in it anymore.  I just don't think I want to talk about what it wants to talk about.  Maybe I do.  I need to look at it again, perhaps.  But it isn't emotional either, and I think I want something that is emotionally effective.  It is a fiercely intelligent piece though.


Then there is Bryony Lavery's Frozen, which I suppose is a possibility.  Although, now I'm wondering if we could get the rights to this either.  This is a really good play, though and it could be the solution to my troubles.


Now I feel like I need something that is about women more than it is about men.  Linda is only going to use four women (that means seven men!)  So I will probably have a lot of women from whom I can choose. 


I have a lot of work to do, now.  And I am not going to sleep very well until I have a new play. 


Geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment