Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

28 March 2004

I Might have enjoyed it even more if it had gone on longer.

Dogville has one HELL of a payoff.  That's all I am gonna say.  I don't know that I can really recommend it to anyone, but at the same time, I feel everyone should see this movie.  Any charges of anti-Americanism thrown at this film are way off base.  I don't think the movie is necessarily anti-American.  But it is Randian in the very best sense.  This (unlike, at least for me, Von Trier's other movies) is a film with a deep sense of justice and morality.  No more discussion of the film's content:


Nicole Kidman was okay here, but mainly not as exciting as she could have been.  I don't get excited about her the way I could about Cate Blanchett or even Naomi Watts, both of whom would have been more effective in this movie.  (Although the Roommate tells me that the part "was written for Tom Cruise's ex-wife.")  Patricia Clarkson is a standout for me in the cast of a very capable ensemble including Lauren Bacall (!), Stellan Skarsgård, James Caan, Jeremy Davies, Philip Baker Hall, and (a personal favorite) Cleo King (who played Marcie in Magnolia).  Chloë Sevigny was in it, too, and so was Ben Gazarra.  Whatever to them.  Also, Paul Bettany is officially irritating in this movie... he has been moving in that direction ever since A Beautiful Mind.  John Hurt is the narrator.  His voice is very cool.


This movie recalls Thornton Wilder, especially, and Ayn Rand.  Never thought I'd see those two names together, but they fit.


I haven't left a movie feeling this satisfied and arrogant since... well, I don't know when.  It gets a piece of me that I forget about sometimes, but that I'm reminded of when I read Atlas Shrugged.  It, perhaps, is the most precious piece of me that exists.


I had a great time with and , with whom I went to see the movie.


Whenever you guys are ready to sign up for Archangel, just let me know. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment