Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea. —Henry Fielding

26 March 2004

Bon Voyage

Saw Jean-Paul Rappenau's new movie, Bon Voyage, this evening. It was very well-made. It is a late 1930s farce that has all of these melodramatic and chase-movie elements. It really is an excellent picture, and very funny to boot. Isabelle Adjani is the main character: this extremely shallow, almost ridiculous, actress. Adjani hasn't really made too many pictures in recent years. The woman is (to be frank) nearly 50 and oh my god she doesn't look a single day over 39. But I didn't really like her in this movie. She's kind of vapid and boring. Virginie Ledoyen is the younger love interest, and she is quite sexy and charming. I also met my future husband. The lead actor is this gorgeous man named Grégori Derangère, who I've never seen in anything before, but hello! I'm looking up his oeuvre!
Gérard Depardieu is in this movie too, but... whatever. Also... Peter Coyote: speaking French and German flawlessly. I was kinda impressed, but he's just never been sexy to me, and that means I have no interest.
One weird thing about it, the composer is credited: "Music by Gabriel Yared" but to my ears the score is nearly identical to the score for The Talented Mr. Ripley. It sounds like they just borrowed it and made a few modifications.
At any rate, I recommend this movie, and if you haven't seen it: Rappenau's movie before this one: Le Hussard sur le Toit (The Horseman on the Roof) with Juliette Binoche and Olivier Martinez (hubba hubba).

No comments:

Post a Comment